Thursday, April 12, 2012

I Do My Spiritual Practices, So Why haven't I Found My Soulmate?

How many times have I heard this question?  Clients tell me all the time about a sense of hopelessness regarding the "pay-off" of their spiritual practices.  "I've done so much work on myself, I meditate, I tune into my body, I'm in touch with my heart, I observe my thoughts, I practice gratitude every day, and still Mr. or Ms. Right hasn't shown up in my life.  What's wrong with me?"

I asnwer, "Take some slow, deep breaths, settle into your body, feel your seat in your chair and your feet on the floor, and ask the question again.  What's wrong with you?...  The question itself indicates a disconnect within yourself, doesn't it?  Can you tune in to that?  Can you begin to sense a division within yourself, as you assume that something is wrong with you, that you're supposed to be something other than who you are, that there's fault to be applied to some aspect of yourself when you don't get what you want, that your destiny is precisely of your choosing, that you're capable of willing a situation into existence?"

"Yes," the response usually comes back to me, softer now and from a deeper place than the original question.  "I do feel that.  I recognize that I'm pressuring myself and taking a negative attitude toward myself.  I don't want to do that to myself.  I'm glad I can see it.  And yet... I feel so ready for a relationship....  And what about the Law of Attraction?"

"I'm sure the Law of Attraction is operative," I say.  "We do attract what we are, what we live.  And we find that what we attract isn't always what we expect.  From that deep space of our inner selves, we can ask for a miracle, for all the universe has to offer, and when we abide there in that deep space, we can receive miracles.  When they don't seem to appear, we need to do more questioning:
  • Am I asking for a miracle from the deepest part of me I can find? 
  • Am I staying open, allowing that deepest part to be touched by a miracle?
  • Am I acknowledging the miracles, large and small, that show up in my life?
  • Am I allowing for the possibility that not all miracles look alike or look like I expect them to?
  • Am I releasing control to the universe, or God, or whatever I call the Divine?
So I invite you to keep practicing, keep attuning to your deepest nature, stay on your path, and keep inquiring."

No comments:

Post a Comment