Friday, May 18, 2012

Truth and radiance

One of the lessons from my childhood was to "tell the truth."  Then I learned that some lies are okay, even liked and rewarded.  When someone feigns confidence on-stage, for example, there is often applause, whereas showing one's own true lack of confidence there is likely to lead to humiliation.  Or if I portray my business as very successful, it seems to spawn more business, but if I talk honestly about the weak economy's negative impact on my business, I seem to gain little from it.

I've learned that the importance of "telling the truth" is relative. . . except in the sphere of deep reality, where discerning and telling My Truth is what matters most.  Deep reality bathes me in light and warmth.  It lies beneath my compulsive behaviors, my automatic thoughts, my feelings of shame and distress, buried by them to the extent that I forget to make contact with my depths.  It resides everywhere but is easily veiled by my busy mind, as it worries, ruminates, plans, goes over past events, creates ideas about other people's meanings, etc. 

When I tell myself My Deep Truth or allow that truth to speak to me, I begin to feel its radiance.  And the surprising thing is that others notice and actually comment on an apparent openness and radiance they sense in me.  Another surprising thing is that I seem to have found My Deep Truth by allowing myself not to know what it is and letting it emerge.

Light emerging from nothingness. . . it's an image that reminds me of the first part of the creation story, where light comes from the void and God calls it good.

I believe that all of us can find deep truth within ourselves.  It's often challenging and can take time, but never is it impossible.  Sometimes we need help from a spiritual guide or therapist to be able to surrender to not knowing and to let Deep Truth emerge. 

May you take the steps which are right for you to be able to locate your own Deep Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment